TOWN OF ROCKY HILL JOB POSTING
TOWN OF ROCKY HILL TAX COLLECTOR’S OFFICE
TECHNICAL ASSISTANT III
This position is part of the AFSCME Local 1303-112 of Council 4 Union. Annual salary (effective
7/1/2023: $63,027 (Step 1); $70,962 (Step 5)) and hours will be in accordance with the collective
bargaining agreement which can be viewed online at: www.rockyhillct.gov/unioncontracts. The
regular work week consists of thirty-five (35) hours.
Interested applicants must submit each of the following via electronic mail
(email@example.com): 1) a resume; 2) a letter of interest which clearly demonstrates how the
applicant meets the qualifications; and 3) a completed Town of Rocky Hill Application for
Employment. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Incomplete applications
will not be considered. Please be advised finalists will be required to undergo a comprehensive
background, financial, and/or criminal investigation.
The Town of Rocky Hill is an EEO/AA Employer and complies with the ADA. Applicants with
disabilities may request assistance or an accommodation at any time by contacting Human
Resources via telephone (860-258-7651), via confidential fax (860-257-1109), via email
(firstname.lastname@example.org) or by visiting the department of Town Hall during business hours.
Town of Rocky Hill
POSITION: TECHNICAL ASSISTANT III
DEPARTMENT: TAX COLLECTION
REPORTS TO: TAX COLLECTOR
BARGAINING UNIT: AFSCME LOCAL 1303-112
Summary of Responsibility:
Under the general direction of the Tax Collector, this position provides technical and
administrative assistance, and financial and/or accounting support to enhance the goals of the
1. Provides secretarial and administrative support in performing and completing the activities
and statutory responsibilities for the office.
2. Relieves supervisor of routine administrative and office management details. Schedules
appointments and meetings.
3. Prepares and files routine and confidential correspondence, memoranda and other
documents while utilizing word processing, spreadsheet and database software.
4. Maintains and updates records and accounts by entering information into applicable
database software systems.
5. Manages transactions with customers, by collecting payments whether in cash, check, or
credit/debit cards and making change for cash customers
6. Post incoming tax payments via regular mail to the tax systems
7. Coordinates and accounts for deposits, revenues, and other tax payments. Provides
appropriate receipts. Secures cash, checks and other payment documents.
8. Processes all property transfers in accordance with office procedures.
9. Scans, organizes and files incoming mail and materials.
10. Gathers materials, data and other information for review by supervisors. Keeps
supervisor informed of problems under their jurisdiction requiring special attention.
11. Prepares, files and releases delinquent notices, lien notices and liens.
12. Develops routine office procedures and forms, and assists with the preparation of various
13. Reviews work for accuracy and correct errors found.
14. Receives and screens telephone calls while providing customer service to patrons
addressing routine tax and assessment inquiries, issues, requests for information and
service needs according to established policies.
15. Assists patrons completing tax refund forms and other related forms for financial
16. Performs work independently with little interpretation and/or explanation.
17. Performs complex calculations in the maintenance of revenue accounts.
18. Must be cross-trained with the Assessor’s Office and the Tax Collector’s Office to assist
both offices during busy times and when the office may be short-staffed.
19. Researches, analyzes and completes special projects as assigned.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrative of the various types of work that may be
performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the
position if the work is similar or a logical assignment to the position.
Qualifications and Competencies:
1. Associates Degree in Business, Accounting or a closely related field plus at least two
years of directly related experience or any equivalent combination of education and
2. Working knowledge of revenue collection procedures, laws and ordinances related to tax
and revenue collection, and basic accounting and bookkeeping procedures.
3. Strong working knowledge utilizing computers, other office equipment and all MS Office
suite software, tax collection software, geographical information systems, assessment
software, and other applicable software applications.
4. Ability to be flexible, work in a fast-paced environment, and juggle multiple priorities.
5. Ability to perform data entry work and make mathematical calculations, including
prorated calculations, with a high degree of accuracy, analyze accounting problems and
determine appropriate corrective actions.
6. Ability to develop and maintain a variety of filing and financial recordkeeping systems.
7. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with individuals and
groups, both professional and non-professional, co-workers, management personnel, the
public and others.
8. Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to clearly and effectively
present information in a variety of situations.
9. Ability to comprehend multiple instructions, short correspondence and memos.
10. Ability to transfer instructions to practical applications.
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of
those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
1. Regularly required to use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach
with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
2. Frequently is required to walk and sit.
3. Occasionally required to stand, climb or balance, and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
4. Ability to lift and/or move up to twenty five (25) pounds.
5. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision,
depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
6. The dexterity necessary to utilize a computer keyboard on a regular basis is essential.
7. The duties listed above are intended only as illustrative of the various types of work that
may be performed.
The Town of Rocky Hill is an EEO/AA employer and complies with the guidelines of the
Americans with Disabilities Act.