The Westfield Fire District is accepting application for the position of Tax Collector. The Tax Collector works under the supervision and is accountable to the Westfield Fire Commission. It is preferred that the applicant is a Certified Connecticut Municipal Collector, however, candidates who have a minimum of 3 years’ experience in a tax office and are proficient with Quality Data Service software are welcome to apply.
Position: Tax Collector, Permanent Part-time
Salary Range: $20.00 – $25.00 per hour w/partial benefits
3 days per week (15.25 hours total*)
Office Hours are:
Tuesday, Wednesday & Friday, 10: 45AM – 3: 30PM / Thursday, 10: 45 – 4: 30 PM
There is some flexibility on the which three days are worked
*During peak tax collection periods additional hours may be required
Principal Activities & Examples of Duties
1. Advertise all public legal notices timely and accurately as required;
2. Process payments received by mail, in person and online; reconcile payments daily and deposits funds weekly; review batches for processing errors; process Certificates of Correction, refund overpayments and write to property owners or agents regarding returned checks, as needed.
3. Respond to phone, email and walk-in inquiries from taxpayers regarding property tax bills. Research tax and collection bill issues and prepare related reports and written correspondence to taxpayers.
4. Reconcile monthly to the Grand Rate Book Balance Sheet and provide monthly income report to the Board of Fire Commission.
5. Code escrowed files and process large batches from CoreLogic, Lereta and Leasing companies.
6. Handle all aspects of collecting on delinquent accounts including, but not limited to, sending out statements, demands, notices of intent to lien, filing real estate liens and UCC-1 filings and releasing same upon payment.
7. Annually move uncollectible receivables to suspense and run reports for auditor; pull documents and bills for auditor, as needed.
8. Maintain accurate records and comply with all retention and disposition requirements per state law.
9. Attend tax related seminars and/or continuing education classes as required.
10. Support in assigned project-based work for District Administrator. May assist in special events such as election check-in and meetings.
11. May supervise other staff as assigned by the Westfield Fire Commission for the assistance in tax collecting duties.
Requirement Knowledge, Skills and Ability
Must be knowledgeable of tax collection laws, bookkeeping and accounting principles. Must have knowledge and ability to operate computer programs including, but not limited to, QDS, Outlook, Excel and Microsoft Word. Should be able to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with property owners, employees of the district and the general public. Should express oneself clearly and concisely orally and in writing. Should have the ability to enforce the rules and regulations firmly, tactfully and consistently. Must be knowledgeable of any changes in tax collecting laws or procedures and applicable office technology.
Education or Additional requirements
High school diploma or equivalent required
Possession of a valid Connecticut Driver’s license
Must be bondable – background check required
Dress code is business casual
If not a Certified Connecticut Municipal Collector, must become certified within three (3) years of hire date.
Position posted until filled
Applications can be found on our website: www.westfieldfd.com or contact the Westfield Fire District, Administrator’s Office, 653 East Street, Middletown, CT 06457 by emailing email@example.com or by calling 860-632-2690 ext 28. Resumes will be accepted; however, all candidates must complete the District employment application.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER