TOWN OF ENFIELD
ANTICIPATED VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
SUPERVISOR OF ASSESSMENT
AND REVENUE COLLECTION
Hours: 35 hours per week
Rate of Pay: $114,260.30 – $126,287.70 (based on qualifications)
Closing Date: FEBRUARY 26, 2021
TOWN OF ENFIELD
TITLE: Supervisor of Assessment and Revenue Collection
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: This is a highly responsible position involving the planning of a Town-wide program of real and personal property assessment as prescribed by the Connecticut General Statutes. Acts as the Assessor and Revenue Collector in duties outlined in the Connecticut General Statutes and Town Charter, including the signing of the Grand List. Plans and directs an annual tax billing and collection strategy.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Works under the direction of the Director of Finance.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Directly supervises all division staff.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Responsible for the compilation of the yearly grand list within established state guidelines and timetables;
• Conducts valuation for assessment purposes of all real property and taxable personal property;
• Implements State Elderly Tax Relief programs and Town Elderly Tax Relief programs;
• Formulates Certificate of Occupancy proration;
• Formulates prorations prompted by CGS 12-18a;
• Implements all state and local exemptions programs;
• Completes and files reports annually to the State of Connecticut;
• Implements statistical procedures to track assessment equity in all classes of real property assessments;
• Assists Town Attorney in litigation matters involving the assessment function; may serve as a witness in Court;
• Reviews maps filed with the Town Clerk on an annual basis
• Supervises the collection of monies (this position does not handle any actual money) owed the Town for taxes, interest, liens, sewer assessments, sewer usage charges and other revenue;
• Maintains accurate records and accounts of monies and assessments collected;
• Supervises preparation of reports of collections; anticipates in the handling, recording and disposing of funds collected;
• Supervises preparation of periodic reports of collections made, checks and verifies claims for exemptions;
• Balances rate books monthly;
• Submits annual and monthly financial reports as required by law;
• Prepares delinquent and motor vehicle listings, lien notices, releases of liens, suspension list, tax sales and list of outstanding taxes;
• Prepares and submits departmental budget, orders supplies and deals with the public, attorneys, bank personnel and realtors; determines demands, warrants, tax sale items, lien releases, placing of liens;
• Evaluates current collection practices and installs new procedures;
• Regular and punctual attendance.
• Supervises the Assessment and Collection staff, conducts employee evaluations of all staff in the division.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Prepares additional reports for the Director of Finance and/or the Town Manager when required.
• Performs related work as required.
• Assists in the various daily functions required in the Assessment and/or Collection of Revenue offices.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY:
• Extensive knowledge of the theory, principles, methods, and techniques of real and personal property valuation for assessment purposes.
• Considerable ability to analyze and form solutions to problems.
• Considerable knowledge of taxation statutes and subsidiary titles which effect the assessment function;
• Considerable knowledge of statistics
• Ability to deal effectively with the general public, town officials and associates.
• Thorough knowledge of Connecticut General Statutes pertaining to Assessment Law and implementation of same.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and with the public.
• Knowledge of accounting principles and practices; thorough knowledge of municipal revenue and tax laws; requirements and procedures;
• Knowledge of modern office methods; equipment and practices; including the utilization of data processing; particularly as related to collection and billing work; ability to plan; organize and supervise the work of clerical subordinates.
QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s Degree with background in either Real Estate, Accounting or related field and eight (8) years of experience in the valuation of residential, commercial and industrial properties for assessment purposes or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Experience in the valuation of business personal property for assessment purposes or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Certification by the Connecticut Association of Assessing Offices as a Certified Connecticut Assessor and/or certification by the International Association of Assessment offices as a Certified Assessment Evaluator.
Must possess a valid driver’s license.
Must obtain certification from State of Connecticut as Tax Collector within 5 years.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop; kneel, crouch and crawl. Hand-eye coordination is necessary to operate computers and various pieces of office equipment. The employee must frequently sit, stand, talk and hear.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works in outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions. The employee must be able to perform highly complex and varied tasks requiring independent knowledge as well as exercise independent judgment. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately quiet in the office and moderate to loud in the field.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Adopted: December 20, 2010
Apply on-line at www.enfield-ct.gov
The Human Resources Department provides reasonable accommodation to persons with disabilities in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). If you need an accommodation in the application process, please contact the Human Resources Department. EOE/AA/M/F