The Town of Putnam is accepting applications for the position of Revenue Clerk in the Tax
1. Graduation from an accredited college or university with an associate degree in
accounting, or related field and two (2) years of increasingly responsible experience in
the collection, accounting, bookkeeping and other financial work in a municipal revenue
collection office is preferred.
2. Certified Connecticut Municipal Collection designation or ability to attain within 4 years
3. Suitable experience may be substituted for education attainment if deemed appropriate by
the Town Administrator or his/her designee.
4. Comparable experience in the business environment. The Revenue clerk must:
• Be bondable (credit check required).
• Work effectively with staff and the general public.
• Problem solve with minimum supervision.
• Possess the ability to carry out duties with a high degree of independence and
• Possess a strong understanding of Outlook, Word, Excel and the ability to become
proficient in other PC based software. Other computer-based skills include
knowledge of revenue software (QDS or its equivalent), financial accounting
software (iVisions by Tyler Technologies), banking-related applications and
software, CIVLS DMV software, and drop box payment software.
• All other duties as assigned.
• Performs routine duties independently, setting priorities and scheduling own work in
accordance with established and general policies and procedures.
• Interprets appropriate laws and regulations for the public.
• This position may serve in lieu of the Tax Collector in his/her absence.
• Serves the public in person or by telephone and electronic communications answering
inquiries and resolving complaints concerning taxes.
• Processes and enters adjustments, receives payments and issues receipts for taxes.
• Aids in the preparation and processing of initial and all subsequent tax billings.
• Research account status for customers by accessing data bases.
• Releases liens monthly.
• Processes all online web payments daily, balancing with access through the Town’s bank
• Provides advice and assistance to customers; works with taxpayers and their legal
representatives, banks, and the public with courtesy and professionalism.
• Deposits and enters into the general ledger deposits for the revenues received in office.
• Enters and updates escrow information on Real Estate taxes.
• Balances cash drawer daily.
• Contacts local departments and State departments with tax updates when necessary.
• Acts as Recording Secretary for various Departments on an as needed and as assigned
basis. Recording Secretary duties include preparing agendas, preparing minutes,
arranging for in-person and virtual meetings, and managing attendees, filing recordings
as necessary, coordinating for public posting requirements, and updating Town website
with applicable information.
• May assist with duties in various departments as needed.
• All other duties assigned.
This full time, hourly, union position is set for 35 hours per week with a pay range of $17.96 –
$26.97 per Town Hall Unit Union Contract rates. There is health, dental, pension, and other
benefits with this position. Vacation, personal leave, and sick leave benefits are applicable.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
This job operates in a professional office environment with occasional related field work. This
role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing
cabinets and fax machines. The physical demands here are representative of those that must be
met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
functions. While performing the essential functions of this job, the employee is frequently
required to stand, walk; use hands and fingers, handle or operate objects, controls, or standard
office equipment, reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl;
and taste or smell.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of
functions, activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job.
Functions, duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
It is the policy of the Town of Putnam to provide equal employment opportunity to all persons
regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race,
religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic
information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other
characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, the Town of Putnam will
provide reasonable accommodations, that do not present an undue hardship, for qualified
individuals with disabilities.
Position will remain open until filled. Please send cover letter and resume to
Questions concerning this position, should be directed to Melissa Alden, Tax Collector at (860)
963-6800 ext. 123