Assistant Tax Collector
Tax Collector’s Office Position: Assistant Tax Collector
The Town of Wilton seeks an Assistant Tax Collector to provide technical and administrative
assistance to the Manager of Assessment & Taxation/Tax Collector in computing and collecting all
taxes due the Town. Work is performed primarily in the office. This position is a Union position
that reports to the Manager of Assessment & TaxationTax Collector, working 35 hours per week with
the hours generally occurring during the regular 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. work day.
• Assists in preparation and printing of rate books and annual tax bills;
• Assists in preparation of volunteer fire abatements and elderly credits and assists the Manager
of Assessment & Taxation/Tax Collector with correction of errors for deferrals as well as
• Assists in the sorting and mailing of tax, sewer user charge, sewer assessment, water
assessment, and alarms bills;
• Responsible for escrow accounts with banks. Updates codes on computer, organizes bills,
processes payments, and solves all problems with banks and taxpayers;
• Responsible for the following cash register responsibilities: (a) participates in recording
payments received by mail and in person on the cash register program and (b) responsible for
balancing cash drawer and preparing deposits;
• Processes mail;
• Provides advice, information, and problem solving to taxpayers, lawyers, banks, motor vehicle
department, etc., in person and by correspondence, email and telephone;
• Oversees the processing of refunds;
• Assists in processing by computer additional tax bills throughout the fiscal year such as
increments, separations, and motor vehicle supplement taxes;
• Participates in maintaining various computer programs;
• Updates address changes as required and property transfers;
• Prepares and mails delinquent notices;
• Files and releases liens with the Town Clerk;
• Helps prepare and submit tax suspense list for Manager of Assessment & Taxation/Tax Collector’s
and Board of Finance’s approval;
• Helps prepare and process collection agency collections and problems;
• Assists in filing of Tax Department materials and information;
• Motor vehicle put-ons and take-offs;
• Maintains familiarity with new legislation and rulings which would affect taxes; and
• Performs other duties as assigned by the Manager of Assessment & Taxation/Tax
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES, AND SKILLS:
• Ability to communicate and work effectively with diverse groups, individuals, and other
• Ability to exhibit tact and diplomacy in dealing with other employees and public;
• Ability to counsel appropriate parties, under the direction of the Manager of Assessment &
Collection/Tax Collector, in matters which may affect the operations of the Department; and
• Ability to coordinate activities, under the direction of the Manager of Assessment &
Taxation/Tax Collector, with appropriate Town departments.
• Two years of college or equivalent education/office experience;
• Ability to obtain and maintain the Certification as a Connecticut Municipal Tax Collector within
3 years of hiring.
• Basic knowledge of computers;
• Basic knowledge of filing and retrieval methods;
• Relevant work experience in a Tax Collector’s office preferred; and
• Knowledge of Assessor’s office practices and procedures a plus.
COMPENSATION: $70,274 – $77,238 starting salary range, depending on qualifications. (Full salary
range is between $70,274 – $87,565) Comprehensive benefits.
Application and job description are available at www.wiltonct.org, or you may call the Human
Resources, Labor Relations, and Administrative Services Department at 203/563-0118. Completed
applications should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed, faxed, or delivered to the
address above. EOE.
The position will remain open until filled.